Mother’s Day is coming up May 11th and tickets to shows at RISE Comedy make great gifts! Take a break from whatever you’re doing and watch these fun videos by, for and about Moms:
- If you’re a woman with a muffin top, or even if you’re not, you need to watch this video by Erin Keany.
- Whoopi Goldberg and HBO produced a documentary on Jackie “Moms” Mabley, a ground-breaking comedian during the 30’s and all the way to her death in 1975. She was called Moms because people considered her the Mom of all entertainers and she was the first African American woman to perform at Carnegie Hall and at the Apollo Theater (incidentally, the Apollo was originally a burlesque theater). Here’s a little audio of Moms Mabley with a classic example of a risqué or “blue” joke at the time.
- Remember the Sh*t (fill in the blank) Say videos from 2 years ago? Well, here are a couple culture-specific mockingly-stereotyped versions about moms, both Asian and Jewish.
- Even if you’re not a person of faith, this is an inspirational story from comedian Kevin Hart about his mom and the Bible during an interview with Oprah Winfrey.
- CafeMom Studios has a series of videos with stand-up comedians that are moms. One of them, Laurie Kilmartin, has an inspirational message to moms in this video:
It’s always awful in a different way… everyday.
- Dena Blizzard does the Mom Dance to embarrass her kids when they don’t mind what she says. Watch her use a flag pole in a whole new way.
- This recent Old Spice ad about moms is strange, weird and memorable.
- FunnyorDie.com has a series of highlight reels of moms doing standup comedy at an “openmic night”, describing it as
12 Moms. One mic. A million crickets.
This one is highlight reel #3.