When young improvisers graduate from a program, they normally ask themselves, “What now?” Most of them figure that out. Until they want to start directing improv themselves and they ask the exact same question. There are fewer avenues to take when answering that version of the question.
The Directing Improv Workshop will train up and coming improvisers who wish to move into directing but have very few practical ideas of how to go about it. This workshop will tackle:
- how to de-construct a scene mathematically
- how to approach a scene from the inside out
- how to demonstrate the lesson to the student by performing their position in the scene without embarrassing the student
- how to utilize one’s personal performing history to troubleshoot the scene at hand
- how to choose the proper curriculum for the appropriate team
- how to utilize social media tools to construct a proper rehearsal schedule
- the difference between teaching and coaching
- how to protect yourself from being taken advantage of and what are your “rights” as a coach
Brian James O’Connell is a working actor, writer, director, filmmaker and teacher in Los Angeles. He teaches his singular ALL IMPROV and THE NEW DECONSTRUCTION electives at The Pack Theater of which he is also a Co-Founder.
BOC (as his friends call him) is part of the improv powerhouse & comedy collective Dr. God, who recently completed their first feature film project BLOODSUCKING BASTARDS, starring Fran Kranz, Pedro Pascal, Joey Kern, Joel Murray, and Emma Fitzpatrick, which O’Connell directed (his third feature as a director) as well as co-writing the script with Dr. God. The film was the Opening Night Premiere at Slamdance in 2015 and is available now on Amazon Prime after it’s 15 city theatrical run along with a two year run on Showtime.
Dr. God’s new animated series HELL DEN is currently airing on SYFY Channel where they serve as the Creator, Executive Producers, Producers, Directors and Writers. Season 2 is part of SYFY’s TZGZ adult animation block, Saturdays at Midnight.