Class DetailsClass Runs: Sunday afternoons @ 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM MT
Class Dates: Sun 1/8 - Sun 2/12 (6 classes total)
Location: RISE Comedy, 1260 22nd St, Denver, CO 80205
Instructor(s): Nick Armstrong
- This is an in-person event! Please read carefully for details and event location. Please click HERE to read more about our in-person event guidelines and requirements.
- Students will receive an email with class details and links 12-24 hours before the class. If you do not see this email, please check your spam folder as well!
- Minimum class size is 8 students.
SKETCH 101 with Nick Armstrong (Sundays 1/8-2/12 at 3pm)
In the RISE Comedy sketch writing program, you will get the opportunity to learn how to write different styles of sketches, how to re-write and get notes back from your instructor to craft a well polished sketch. We will work on character sketches, premise based sketches, parody and more! This multi-session class will focus on a variety of sketches. You will learn how to write with others and you will also learn to write solo sketches. You will write in class and also turn in sketches for notes and you will learn how to re-write. You will read sketches and pitch them to the instructor and the class and we will all work together to make each to the sketches amazing and polished. It’s almost like being in a real sketch writing room.
What you’ll get out of this class:
- Well polished sketches for a writing packet or to perform down the road
- A firm grasp on how the sketch writing process works.
- How to re-write a sketch
- Learn how a writing room works.
- Learn the discipline of writing, re-writing and polishing
- Learn how to write different styles of sketch – Character, premise based, parody, jokes and more
Nick Armstrong is an Actor, Improvisor, Director and Writer. On TV, Nick has been on the Emmy-Award winning shows The Office and Grey’s Anatomy. He has also made appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live, New Girl, Stan Against Evil, Young Sheldon, Brooklyn Nine Nine and Parks and Recreation.
While in Los Angeles, Nick trained at the World-famous Groundlings Theater where he was a member of the prestigious Sunday Company who’s alumni include Will Ferrell, Heidi Gardner, Phil Hartman and many more. There he would study and teach improv and sketch comedy. He also studied at iO where he learned and taught Long Form Improvisation and performed on the critically acclaimed teams King Ten, COG and Kind Strangers. He was also former Artistic Director of M.I’s Westside Comedy Theater. where he taught and performed as well. Nick has taught workshops all over the world and has performed and headlined in over 60 festivals throughout the world.
Currently, Nick is the Co-Owner and Artistic Director of RISE Comedy in Denver, Colorado and Founder and Executive Director of Improv Utopia a Non-profit improv camp for adults held annually that gives back to the improv community and other arts related charities.